Should I call an Emergency Plumber to help with a Gas Leak?

Should I call an Emergency Plumber to help with a Gas Leak?

Gas Safe Plumbing and Heating

Should I call an Emergency Plumber to help with a Gas Leak?

Not all plumbers are trained to deal with gas leaks and only an engineer who is Gas Safe registered should attend to this type of work.

There are many plumbers who are Gas Safe registered in your local area who can deal with the problem of a gas leak. If you want to be safe, be sure that you contact National Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 and they will arrange for a Gas Safe engineer to fix your problem.

Why should I contact a Gas Safe Engineer if I smell gas?

Leaking gas in your home can be the cause of badly fitted gas boilers, fires or cookers. The effects of leaking gas in you home can cause nausea, dizziness, carbon monoxide poisoning and explosions.

If you experience the symptoms or smells which indicate that there is a gas leak in your home, you need to act quickly to ensure that you and everyone in your household is safe from danger.

The gas that is leaking throughout your home is highly flammable and can ignite if it comes into contact with an open flame causing extensive damage to your property and persons within.

How can I tell if there is a gas leak in my home?

If you are exposed to leaking gas, you may experience the following symptoms:

  • The smell of gas
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Feeling Ill
  • Headaches

If you experience any of the following symptoms, you should seek fresh air immediately. If you are feeling ill, you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning and should seek medical attention.

Carbon monoxide is the product of gas not burning correctly. You may be able to identify a carbon monoxide leak if you notice any of the following:

  • The pilot light in your boiler dies out on a regular basis
  • The flames on your gas appliances burn with an orange or yellow colour rather than blue
  • Scorched or soot marks appear on gas appliances
  • You notice an excessive amount of condensation on your windows

What should I do if there is a gas leak in my home?

  • You should not use a mobile phone in your home if you suspect a gas leak. Only use a mobile phone outside or in a neighbours house
  • Open all the windows and doors in your home
  • Do not smoke, use matches or any naked flames
  • Do not attempt to turn off or on any electrical switches
  • Call the National Gas Emergency number on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak
  • Turn off the gas at the metre if you know how to
  • Stand outside and away from your home if you suspect a gas leak

By contacting the National Gas Emergency number, a Gas Safe engineer in the local area will be contacted to attend to your leak. There are many plumbing emergencies that you can contact a plumber to attend to but due to the serious nature of leaking gas, you need to ensure that a fully trained Gas Safe registered engineer is called out.

Gas Safe Engineer in Lancashire

{company-name} offer Gas Safe registered services for domestic and commercial customers throughout Lancaster, Blackpool, Preston, Whalley, Fleetwood, Blackburn and Lancashire. To find out more about the range of Gas Safe services that we provide, please call us on {phone-number} or complete our contact form to forward your enquiry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.